Tuesday, September 20, 2005

 

Matador suspended in time and space


Matador, originally uploaded by Bitterroot.

The ancient pastime of bullfighting is alive and well in Spain. This sculpture of a matador passing the cape before the bull is outside the Madrid bullring. No, I didn't see a bullfight, nor would I, but I thought this chap had a great deal of elegance and flair. I can see the link between this and our brahma bull events at the rodeo in Montana, one difference being that our bulls live to charge again another day! Yes, I realize the Spanish bullfights are stylized and ritualistic and regarded as an art, unlike our cowboy scuffles in the dust, but it's really all about bravado of man over beast, no?!


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?